We want to wish a very warm welcome to Sir Francis Drake to all our new families. We are delighted that you and your child will be joining us and cannot wait to meet you!
This page is just for you and we hope you will find it really useful! We know your child starting Reception in normal times can be an anxious time but under the current circumstances even more so. Please let us assure you that it is a priority for us to make sure that you and your child feel prepared, confident and excited to start at Sir Francis Drake.
Please label everything with your child’s name! We strongly recommend Velcro fasteners not laces.
We encourage all children to wear a school uniform. All school uniform can be bought from local supermarkets and high street retailers. There is a blue school sweatshirt with the school logo on available to buy from the office.
There is a school PE kit which can be bought from the office.
No jewellery is allowed, except small stud earrings and watches.
We follow the Early Years Foundation Curriculum, Development Matters.
We teach through
- Short direct teaching activities
- Learning through play
- Group work
- A different topic each term
Children are observed and assessed on a regular basis.
Targets are set and progress reported at academic review days and parents evenings.
We learn through all types of weather, wellingtons and spare clothes in a bag are welcome!
Getting your child ready for school
- Get your child in a good routine
- Talk to them about their new setting and how to ask for help from adults
- Practise doing up buttons and doing up their zips on coats
- Practise getting dressed by themselves- your child will be changing for P.E. lessons into their P.E. kits
- Practise writing their names (not in all capital letters- capital letter for the first letter of their name and lower case for the rest)
- Count items in your house and identify numbers in your environments e.g. door numbers, bus number etc.
- Share a book and read a story before bedtime, don’t forget to talk about it! Here are a few suggestions:
All children will be invited to attend a Stay and Play event with their parent or carer so that you can get to know us and we can get to know you.
All parents were emailed on 24th July with dates for their stay and play sessions and information about starting with us.
If you did not receive this email please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will resend the information.