Fuji - Friday
Being able to comprehend a text means that you understand what is happening in the story and you understand the words you are reading.
Can you answer these questions about our text Journey to the River Sea using full sentences?
Remember, a full sentence means that you include part of the question in your answer.
Tip - Pretend the person reading your answer cannot see the question.
You may either:
- write the answers to each question down on a piece of paper and email me a photo of your work or
- type the answers to each question using your computer and email them to me
Please send your work to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you'd like to listen to the Youtube reading of the text click here
(Remember it is just 33:03-41:01 on the Youtube clip)
Journey to the River Sea
Support Group Comprehension Questions (easier)
1. Can you name three different animals Maia saw on her journey down the Amazon river?
Three different animals Maia saw on her journey down the Amazon are...
2. What did Maia buy for the twins from the market?
When she was shopping at the market, Maia bought the twins...
3. Why was part of the river called the Wedding of the Waters?
Part of the river was called the Wedding of the Waters because...
Comprehension Questions (most students should be able to answer these)
4. When was Maia being generous in this part of the story?
5. What is the name of the Carters' house?
6. Maia mentions seeing Indian villages and Indian children waving to her as she is travelling down the Amazon. Brazil is very far away from India, as you can see in the map below.
What is the correct name for the 'Indians' Maia sees on the Amazon? Hint: There is a more politically correct (proper) word we use for these native peoples of America now.
Challenge Comprehension Questions (more difficult)
1. Why did Maia buy Miss Minton a parasol instead of a new umbrella?
2. What inspired Miss Minton to move to the Amazon?
Reflection and Feedback
How are you feeling after your fourth full week of online learning? I hope you are enjoying it :)
Task: Write a few sentences (about one paragraph) OR record a video or voice recording reflecting on your learning this week.
Information you might like to include:
- What was your favourite activity and which activities did you enjoy this week?
- What do you like about online learning?
- What have you found challenging about online learning?
- Which piece of work are you most proud of this week?
- What could you do better next time?
- What would you like to see more of next week?
- Is there anything else you would like to learn about next week?
- Is there anything else you would like to tell me?
You may either:
- write your feedback and reflection paragraph on a piece of paper and email me a photo of your work or
- type your feedback and reflection paragraph using your computer and email it to me
- record your feedback using any type of media you wish and email the file to me
Please send to me at email@example.com
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
Love Miss Hobbs :)