Fuji - Friday
Being able to comprehend a text means that you understand what is happening in the story and you understand the words you are reading.
Can you answer these questions about our text Journey to the River Sea using full sentences?
Remember, a full sentence means that you include part of the question in your answer.
Tip - Pretend the person reading your answer cannot see the question.
You may either:
- write the answers to each question down on a piece of paper and email me a photo of your work or
- type the answers to each question using your computer and email them to me
Please send your work to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you'd like to listen to the Youtube reading of the text click here
(Remember it is just 8:32 - 19:52 on the Youtube clip)
Journey to the River Sea
Support Group Comprehension Questions (easier)
1. What is the name of the governess looking after Maia on her journey to Brazil?
The governess looking after Maia in this part of the book is...
2. Why is Maia travelling to Brazil?
Maia is travelling to Brazil because...
3. What was in Miss Minton's trunk that made it so heavy for the porter to lift?
Miss Minton's trunk was so heavy because...
Comprehension Questions (most students should be able to answer these)
1. What interesting things did Maia discover about the Amazon when she completed her homework?
2. Miss Minton is the governess looking after Maia on her journey to Brazil. What do you think a 'governess' is? What is their job?
3. Describe Maia's journey from her boarding school to the Carter's residence (her new home in Brazil). Which modes of transport will she use? How long will each part of her journey take?
Challenge Comprehension Questions (more difficult)
1. When Maia is completing her homework about the Amazon, the book she is reading says
"Those who think of the Amazon as a Green Hell bring only their own fears and prejudices to this amazing land. For whether a place is a hell or a heaven rests in yourself, and those who go with courage and an open mind may find themselves in Paradise"
In your own words, what does this mean?
2. Do you agree with Miss Minton hitting the child with her umbrella because he injured the puppy? Why?
Reflection and Feedback Activity
How are you feeling after your second full week of online learning? I hope you are enjoying it :)
Write a few sentences (about one paragraph) reflecting on your learning this week.
Information you might like to include:
- What was your favourite activity and which activities did you enjoy this week?
- What do you like about online learning?
- What have you found challenging about online learning?
- Which piece of work are you most proud of this week?
- What could you do better next time?
- What would you like to see more of next week?
- Is there anything else you would like to learn about next week?
- Is there anything else you would like to tell me?
You may either:
- write your feedback and reflection paragraph on a piece of paper and email me a photo of your work or
- type your feedback and reflection paragraph using your computer and email it to me
Please send to me at email@example.com
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
Love Miss Hobbs :)